The Geneseo Police Department began with the State Incorporated Law in Geneseo on April 21, 1832, with the appointment of a Constable. This constable served as a watchman for the Village of Geneseo. His scope and duties were limited. During the late 19th Century, the scope began to widen to include the arrests of vagrants and drunkards.
With the new Village Building in 1908, accused persons were incarcerated in a basement room. The Village also increased the staff to two constables and allowed for additional citizens that could be deputized as needed. There was no formal training. Training was limited to learning on the job.
By the late 1950’s, the Geneseo Police Department had become more professional and modernized. There were clear policies, procedures and rules of conduct. The Department also had an authority and command structure. Constables were replaced by policemen and there was a head of the department, which was a Chief of Police.
From 1954 to 1957, Douglas Mills was the Chief of Police. He had two full time officers. During this time period, record keeping became more organized.
In 1957, Chief Douglas Mills left the Geneseo Police Department for employment with the Livingston County Sheriff’s Office. He became Undersheriff in 1963.
In 1970, William Roodenburg became Chief of Police. There were also three full time officers and two part time police officers. The Department was able to maintain a 24 hour police presence. The officers constructed an area in the Village Building and made a police office/station area.
In 1979, Geneseo made headlines when Officer Joseph Guarino was shot in the head and arms while responding to a domestic call at Valley View Apartments.
By 1980, the police force was increased to six full time police officers.
In 1984, Joseph Guarino became Chief after Chief William Roodenburg announced his retirement. Computer technology was introduced during this time and record keeping became more modernized. The Police Department also received a NYSPIN terminal during this time, making the Police Department only the third department in Livingston County with such a terminal.
By 1990, the police force was increased to seven full time police officers.
In 1996, the Police Department received a Federal COPS Grant to hire three officers full time officers, however the Village decided to hire only one officer. This increased the police force to eight full time officers.
In 1998, Sgt. Richard White became Chief after Chief Joseph Guarino announced his retirement. Bicycle Patrols were introduced.
In 2003, Sgt. Eric Osganian became Chief after Chief Richard White announced his retirement.